I hope you all had a great weekend. I worked on the Manor house all weekend and am glad to say the roof structure is done!
I picked up the 1/4" MDF panels at the hardware store Saturday morning. The first step was figuring out where to cut holes for the dormers and the opening to allow access from one room to the next.
When came time to attach the panels, first I covered the gable and cross beams with carpenters glue. I put the MDF panel into place and taped it down with masking tape. Next, I pre-drilled a whole for the screw. First, I used a large drill bit and went down just enough so the head of the screw would not stick out. Then, I used the smallest drill bit and went as deep as I could. All panels had 2 or 3 screws attached to the gables, and 2 screws attached to the cross beam. In the end I used 104 1" screws and 36 2" screws.
In the center section of the roof I will have an opening panel that leads to the stair and the nursery
I had cut the gables and glued them to a piece of subfloor.
For some reason Ozzy went right next to it, sat down and would not move.
I'm going to put up the room devisions before I attach the panel with a piano hinge. I took a few more pictures of the roof:
Every once in a while I had to get away from the roof, so I worked on other little details. I finished the panneling in the entrance
This will be the Only working window in the house. I have realized the more pieces actually move, the more people touch and break them...and it's REALLY hard for me to pretend I'm not bothered and smile and say "that's okay, it's nothing"And finaly, I purchased some jewelry pieces that looked like old heating grates. In the late victorian times homes started having coal furnaces in the basement which heated the house using ducts. I used a black marker to draw a square on the wallpaper and glued the jewlery bit on
I hope evryone has a wonderful week.
Best wishes to all,